- Deutsche Telekom further develops the Mobile Encryption app
- Secure telephone conferences possible in the future
- Encrypted telephone calls also possible via PABX
Deutsche Telekom is yet again expanding the possibilities of encrypted communication: For the 2015 CeBIT, the company will showcase a range of features in its Mobile Encryption app, a mobile encryption solution for smartphones that can be used worldwide. The launch of these innovations after CeBIT will enable secure, encrypted three-party telephone conferences. In addition, the encryption solution can now be integrated in existing fixed network technology worlds. This enables the use of encrypted communication from a PABX in the office to a cell phone and vice versa.
"Many companies have a great need for encrypted telephony. With the new connection option for the fixed network and three-party conference call, we are providing these companies with new communication possibilities and are making our solution more attractive," says Jürgen Kohr, head of the Cyber Security business unit at T-Systems. In summer 2014, Deutsche Telekom was one of the first providers to introduce such an app in the market. "Now we are going one important step further – and it won't be the last either," explains Jürgen Kohr.
Deutsche Telekom will release the source code of the app developed by Berlin-based company GSMK on the network for CeBIT. Continuing his explanation, Jürgen Kohr says, "We would like to give our customers the opportunity to put our app through its paces because we will only gain people's trust through transparency."
In contrast to other solutions, the app works in every mobile network and even without a SIM card, via Wi-Fi. The solution enables encrypted communication even in countries that block Internet phone calls. The app merely needs a bandwidth of 4.8 kbit (net), which means it also works in areas with poor network coverage. The Mobile Encryption app implements the strongest encryption methods currently available on the market, which even cryptographers think cannot be cracked in the foreseeable future.
When two users want to communicate with this solution, they only need install the Mobile Encryption app on their smartphones. No customer-specific technical infrastructure is needed in the background. The keys, which enable secure communications in the solution, are generated only on the smartphones used and are deleted immediately at the end of a call. They are always under the user's exclusive control, fully independent of the network provider.
The solution is initially aimed at major corporate customers in Germany, but there are plans to launch it internationally and to the SME segment as well. The solution costs between 15 and 20 euros per device each month, depending on procurement volumes. The application areas of the solution include, but are not limited to, confidential contract negotiations, merger talks, research and development and even witness protection programs.
The solution in brief:
- Developed by GSMK, a Berlin-based company and technology leader in mobile voice and text encryption with more than 10 years of expertise
- Offer initially for corporate customers
- Scale prices between 15-20 euros per device each month, depending on procurement volumes
- No additional investments in infrastructure needed
- App runs on Android and Apple devices
- Robust solution that works reliably everywhere:
- Communication possible even with limited network throughput and even when VoIP is blocked or quality throttled in the area of use.
- App merely needs a bandwidth of 4.8 kbit (net)
- Three-party conference calls possible
- Integration in existing telecommunications worlds via an upstream gateway
- The keys are generated only on the devices themselves and deleted immediately at the end of a call
- Key is not pre-installed and hence unpredictable
- Solution uses the strongest encryption methods currently available on the market
- Redundant encryption through two parallel algorithms
- Works independently of any specific network operator and works even without a SIM card in Wi-Fi networks or through a satellite link
- Use on the user's device is possible. No second device needed, no additional hardware
Experience our products and services live at CeBIT from March 16 - 20 at the Deutsche Telekom stand in hall 4, stand C26. Deutsche Telekom's entire presence at the trade fair is carbon-neutral: All CO2 emissions generated in setting up and operating the stand are offset fully by carbon-reduction projects abroad.
About Deutsche Telekom
Deutsche Telekom is one of the world's leading integrated telecommunications companies with around 151 million mobile customers, 30 million fixed-network lines and more than 17 million broadband lines (as of December 31, 2014). The Group provides fixed-network, mobile communications, Internet and IPTV products and services for consumers and ICT solutions for business customers and corporate customers. Deutsche Telekom is present in more than 50 countries and has approximately 228,000 employees worldwide. The Group generated revenues of EUR 62.7 billion in the 2014 financial year – more than 60 percent of it outside Germany.